Man de la Maza

Monday, November 22, 2004

Believing but not entirely Seeing

Worked hard this weekend. It was a stressful week, and I was pretty shagged by Friday night. To add to this, I had a house of 10 year old girls celebrating my daughter's birthday. Slumber parties have not changed much in the years, so it was not the most peaceful place to do chess problems. It was nothing but stubborness that got me through the run of Friday night problems. Stubborness is not real good at solving chess problems, but I felt I could claim a moral victory at least for doing them all. Saturday and Sunday were better. I managed to catch up 15 problems over the weekend. I am now only 32 problems behind on my Christmas day pace.

The problems are now frequently beyond my ability to calculate. Even when I get them right, when I make move 1 or 2, I am not always sure that I am making the right choice. On the other hand, I am getting very good at picking out the weak points in the position. Without calcuation, I have a feeling where I should be going. I wonder if at some level one makes "tactically strong moves" without seeing solutions in all lines.

58 days down, 97 to go
765 probs down, 444 to go in Circle One

1 Comments:

  • Running around like an idiot who doesn't know what he is doing is really all that is required for a sucessful Ogre performance. As such, I think my tactical incompetence was excellent preparation for it.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home